Pirate Radio Museum - Clacton

Post all related Offshore Radio Discusions here
but remember there is a forum for the almighty MV Galaxy below and the Big L RSL's.

Pirate Radio Museum - Clacton

Postby Barnacle Bill » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:57 am

Not seen this posted elsewhere here so......

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pirate-R ... 9235168421
The views I post are my own and do not represent those of Friends of Big L Message Board, the station or it's affiliates
Barnacle Bill

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0

Re: Pirate Radio Museum - Clacton

Postby Keith Mardell » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:04 am

Another project from uncle Ray.
Hope it does well.
Keith Mardell
Big L Piratza Nearly King

Postby Cookie » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:44 am

Indeed! http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/ ... nged-radio

Will be high on my to-do list whenever I get up that way.
Mon/Tue/Wed afternoon live, 2-4pm.
Thursday Evening Soiree Live, 7-9pm.
Cookie
Site Admin

Postby MaryAnn » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 pm

One past presenter of BIGL posted on FB that it is basically a joke and he would not advise anyone to see it. :wink:
"I would rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not" — Lucille Ball
MaryAnn
Big L Pirate King of Pirate Kings

Postby #6 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:54 pm

I suspect that the Museum is aimed at the general public (normals, to us anoraks). For these types, it probably tells a bit of a story that may interest them.

Any anorak (sorry but that includes most on here) would not find much of interest and could, probably, quite easily, find fault with it.

Let Ray earn a few quid. You never know, it might go back into some radio venture. Alleged previous creditors should not get excited :wink:
Loving Awareness is free...is free...is free

Postby Coastie » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:42 pm

MaryAnn wrote:One past presenter of BIGL posted on FB that it is basically a joke and he would not advise anyone to see it. :wink:

Oh well, a comment like that is BOUND to get people going along to have a look!! :D
I'm a Juvenile product of the Working Class who's best friend floats in the bottom of a glass!

Skype - Chriscoastie1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyCN5i1hU20
Coastie

Postby MaryAnn » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:15 pm

Coastie wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:One past presenter of BIGL posted on FB that it is basically a joke and he would not advise anyone to see it. :wink:

Oh well, a comment like that is BOUND to get people going along to have a look!! :D

Not me for 20 pictures, a broken mixer and some yellow submarine. :wink:
"I would rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not" — Lucille Ball
MaryAnn

Postby Coastie » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:36 pm

Oh, maybe. If that is the case then I supose it depends on the piccy's which I suppose you can see on the internet anyway.
I'm a Juvenile product of the Working Class who's best friend floats in the bottom of a glass!

Skype - Chriscoastie1.

Coastie

Postby Cookie » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:39 am

Coastie wrote:

Guess a lot will depend on what your expectations are to start with. A poster on another forum very much enjoyed his visit. Also, presumably, as with most museums, it will be added to over time. Anyway, being unable to vist at the moment, I'll keep an open mind, but wish Ray every success.
Mon/Tue/Wed afternoon live, 2-4pm.
Thursday Evening Soiree Live, 7-9pm.
Cookie
Site Admin

Postby Barnacle Bill » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:44 am

I would not pre-judge the museum on other's views until I'd had a look.

If it's not your cup of tea, fine. Otherwise there seems to be a lot of pictures not seen before, video too. I note from elsewhere that a lot of the pictures are in colour, when they would only have been seen in black and white in the papers originally.

If you do happen to go to Clacton perhaps you could also pop down the road to Harwich and see the LV18 broadcasting Radio Mi Amigo from 14th to 18th August.
The views I post are my own and do not represent those of Friends of Big L Message Board, the station or it's affiliates
Barnacle Bill

Postby Coastie » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:42 am

Sadly it's too far away for me to just "pop in to" but if I'm ever in the area I'll certainly go and have a look.

Skype - Chriscoastie1.

Coastie

Postby simon d » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:49 pm

The 20 or so pix are floor to ceiling "posters" each with pictures telling a story of the stations, ships etc, it is just as Roger said.. Public interest. Nothing that anyone who has followed off shore radio will find new. Plenty of merchandise on sale. Yes there is a non working Gates mixer and a yellow sub .. more to do with a certain persons love of the Beatles. Hope this helps. Oh the man himself is usually there.
simon d

Postby John Freeman » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:50 am

Barnacle Bill wrote:I would not pre-judge the museum on other's views until I'd had a look.

If it's not your cup of tea, fine. Otherwise there seems to be a lot of pictures not seen before, video too. I note from elsewhere that a lot of the pictures are in colour, when they would only have been seen in black and white in the papers originally.

If you do happen to go to Clacton perhaps you could also pop down the road to Harwich and see the LV18 broadcasting Radio Mi Amigo from 14th to 18th August.

Looking forward to the RSL enormously - particularly as Enda Caldwell, Tony Prince and Roger Day feature in the line up :wink:
Wonder what odds you'd have got on that? :lol:
'The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer'
John Freeman
Big L Piratza Nearly King

Postby paulvos » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:44 am

The RSL is going to be fun, I can see that. I believe Eindhoven is somewhat out of range of their 100 Watt transmitter ;)

I understand why the museum is met with mixed feelings. There is no doubt that Ray has created good off-shore activities, not in the least our own BigL. Besides that he was a good presenter on the air. However too many people (including some of my friends) have money issues with him including people that ordered memorabilia on the Internet. That makes it hard for me to get excited about his undertakings.
Regards Paul Vos
----------------------------------------
DJ
"Shore Leave" Saturday evening 19:00 UK time
"Music To Munch By" Monday afternoon 16:00 UK time
"The Dutchy Live Show" Tuesday evening 19:00 UK time

Chinese proverb: "Standing on head makes smile of frown, but rest of face also upside down"
paulvos
Site Admin

Invitations sent: 1
Referrals: 1

Postby #6 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:10 pm

Paul, although not a 'victim' myself, I understand your comment.
Unfortunately, without characters like Ray or, even, Ronan O' Rahilly, who are/were 'economical with the truth' at times, offshore radio and even BigL 2005 to today, would not have happened.
Before I am slaughtered, I am not for one minute inferring that the two mentioned are exactly the same in all ways, just that a 100% honest and straightforward businessman would still be dealing with the paperwork or running Heart, in a town or several, near you.

Anyway, what happened to the alleged involvement of Ray with a new station on 675 from Holland?
Loving Awareness is free...is free...is free

Next

Return to Offshore Stuff