Radio Seagull on 1395

Post all related Offshore Radio Discusions here
but remember there is a forum for the almighty MV Galaxy below and the Big L RSL's.

Radio Seagull on 1395

Postby JAK » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:39 pm

I noted a broadcast on 1395 this afternoon. Thought it was BigL back on, but no, it was Radio Seagull.

They say that for a six week test period, starting October 1st, the Continental Electronics transmitter on board the lightship Jenni Baynton will be broadcasting on 1395AM (a similar Tx to that on the Mi Amigo). During the test the radiated power will vary and also the ship will try various locations to broadcast from, in order to determine what location generates the best and most economic signal. Apparently they will be varying the radiated power and will also be moving the ship around. Reception reports are requested with a prize offered for the most distant!

I wonder if they are 'borrowing' the frequency or have actually acquired the rights to use it?

Anyhow, good to hear music coming live from the North Sea again with signal like that from Caroline in the 60's.

John
JAK
Forum Member

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0

Postby alec » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:03 am

I think they must be broadcasting (if) with about 1 KW as nothing comes in over here anymore :cry:
Image - Lets enjoy our music on good old radio http://offshoreradiosounds.tk/
alec
Big L Pirate King of Pirate Kings

Invitations sent: 2
Referrals: 2

Postby JAK » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:32 am

alec wrote:I think they must be broadcasting (if) with about 1 KW as nothing comes in over here anymore :cry:

Keep trying as the broadcast location is said to change and they say they have the capacity to broadcast at 15kW with an additional more powerful transmitter; the existing Redyvon 1 kW and 2 kW RCA reserve transmitters will soon be expanded with a 15 kW medium wave transmitter. Whether that has happened yet or not I do not know but I suspect it has.

The new transmitter has the capacity to broadcast 50kW (as per the CE transmitter on the Mi Amigo) but this is too much for the Jenni Baynton. However 15kW increases the available transmission power substantially. Maybe they are working up to that.

John
JAK
Forum Member

Big L will test with Seagull on 1395

Postby JAK » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:49 am

"You need new batteries for 1395. Big L will test with Seagull on 1395. Testing with different power. The tests will start with some luck this weekend or on Monday."

See http://1395.eu/index.php?dir=news

Explains the use of 1395 then. Great news indeed.

John
JAK
Forum Member

Postby alec » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:29 am

JAK wrote:
alec wrote:I think they must be broadcasting (if) with about 1 KW as nothing comes in over here anymore :cry:

Keep trying as the broadcast location is said to change and they say they have the capacity to broadcast at 15kW with an additional more powerful transmitter; the existing Redyvon 1 kW and 2 kW RCA reserve transmitters will soon be expanded with a 15 kW medium wave transmitter. Whether that has happened yet or not I do not know but I suspect it has.

The new transmitter has the capacity to broadcast 50kW (as per the CE transmitter on the Mi Amigo) but this is too much for the Jenni Baynton. However 15kW increases the available transmission power substantially. Maybe they are working up to that.

John

I PMed you...
alec

Postby big T » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:24 am

The TX is off air Alec :(
Regards,
Theo

Power macht Spaß
big T
Big L Mast with the Most Pirate King

Postby paulvos » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:13 am

I do get a signal regularly in the south. I believe they have the office hours of civil servants, somewhere between 10:00 and 17:00. The signal is not very strong yet, but they did improve the audio a lot.

If they are on 1kW at the moment, like some of us suspect, there is very good hope of a decent signal at 15kW.

I did fill in some reception reports at the Seagull site already, but it's not very professional. They simply ask for signal strength and time of day, while I'm sure a Sinpo report would be more helpful. They also don't ask about fading at all. Anyway, my hopes are up on 1395.

6095 is another matter altogether. A brilliantly strong signal, even with the whip antenna down and beautifully balanced audio. In spite of some fading, I was listening for hours in the weekend. If it is Eric's goal to use both frequencies, he could build a very strong AM offering, and who knows, finally make some money on the side.
Regards Paul Vos
----------------------------------------
DJ
"Shore Leave" Saturday evening 19:00 UK time
"Music To Munch By" Monday afternoon 16:00 UK time
"The Dutchy Live Show" Tuesday evening 19:00 UK time

Chinese proverb: "Standing on head makes smile of frown, but rest of face also upside down"
paulvos
Site Admin

Invitations sent: 1
Referrals: 1

Postby alec » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:51 am

paulvos wrote:...
6095 is another matter altogether. A brilliantly strong signal, even with the whip antenna down and beautifully balanced audio. In spite of some fading, I was listening for hours in the weekend. ....

thats because the signal of 6095 came from Bavaria (Wertachtal) and the Bavarians know their job :lol: :wink:
so lets hope and keep our fingers crossed that we also will hear BigL on 6095 soon
alec

Postby Alfie Noakes » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:18 pm

I've been trundling round the Lincolnshire coast today and to me, Seagull didn't seem as strong as I would have expected. The relative level meter on the car radio shows it to be only a little better than 1602, though that in itself was weaker than usual. The main problem at present with 1395 is the audio. It seems quite narrow and overly compressed. In fact it almost comes across as having a slight FM artifact on music peaks. Not sure whether this is a transmitter fault or just set up of the processor, however it lacks any punch and therefore probably sounds far weaker than it actually is.
Alfie Noakes
Big L Gold

Postby Coastie » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:23 pm

Have just tried again and can only hear the Albanians*. :(

Will try again tomorrow evening.

*Ammended, thanks to Alec's correction! :) :)
Last edited by Coastie on Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a Juvenile product of the Working Class who's best friend floats in the bottom of a glass!

Skype - Chriscoastie1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyCN5i1hU20
Coastie

Postby alec » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Tried 1/2 past 7pm CET - but got only the Armenians and nothing from the JB - will try again after 23:00h CET.
Looking forward to next weekend for 6095 SW again.

@Coastie - you got the Albanians after 7 pm BT :wink:
I wonder if the Armenians have to switch off when Albania (TWR) gets on the air (?)
alec

Postby big T » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:11 pm

For Alec,

NORA

bericht Re: Radio Seagull test op 1395 khz

Zat al een paar dagen op de autoradio te luisteren, maar hoorde vanavond dan Seagull voor het eerst...
Om 19:23 kwam Black Sabbath keurig uit de speaker, om even later weer de ruis en splatter van 1404 in te duiken.

Kirchberg, Oostenrijk

Power macht Spaß
big T

Postby alec » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:36 pm

big T wrote:For Alec,

NORA

bericht Re: Radio Seagull test op 1395 khz

Zat al een paar dagen op de autoradio te luisteren, maar hoorde vanavond dan Seagull voor het eerst...
Om 19:23 kwam Black Sabbath keurig uit de speaker, om even later weer de ruis en splatter van 1404 in te duiken.

Kirchberg, Oostenrijk

Theo - I caught Seagul too - but that was last week - I think monday or tuesday.
Kirchberg is in/on the Tyrolian Alpes about 70 kms south of MUC as the crow flies. But of course there are also Kirchbergs in GER - depends where this rec.-report comes from
alec

Postby big T » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:40 pm

It is coming from Austria, Alec and was from to night.
Its a good friend of my :D
Regards,
Theo

Power macht Spaß
big T

Postby alec » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:45 pm

big T wrote:It is coming from Austria, Alec and was from to night.
Its a good friend of my :D

Yes - maybe s/he tried on a mountain-meadow (Alm) - I tried in downtown MUC - which makes a huge difference in reception quality of course.
I had sent a rec.-report to Seagull last week on their page
Anyway lets hope they'll add some power to their Tx soon to get a viable reception also for non-anoraks
alec

Next

Return to Offshore Stuff