can someone explain to me plz. !

Post all related Offshore Radio Discusions here
but remember there is a forum for the almighty MV Galaxy below and the Big L RSL's.

Postby Barnacle Bill » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:22 pm

alec wrote:Wouldn't she look much nicer like this ?

Ahem! The Biggest Structure On Any Ship In The World.... EVER!! Beat That!
The views I post are my own and do not represent those of Friends of Big L Message Board, the station or it's affiliates
Barnacle Bill

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0

Re: can someone explain to me plz. !

Postby Barnacle Bill » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:24 pm

alec wrote:Image

the Ross Revenge really seems to be a beautiful ship - well instead of its former big mast she now has 2 smaller antenna-masts.
But can please someone explain to me what the actual transmitting-antenne is and also what the other wires are for e.g. those 2 square (quadratic) frames ?

Thank-you in advance

Go here http://members7.boardhost.com/PirateRad ... 88065.html to find out more from Moore!
The views I post are my own and do not represent those of Friends of Big L Message Board, the station or it's affiliates
Barnacle Bill

Postby BigJohn » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:04 pm

Anyone viewed the Droitwitch antennae? They look impressive to me!!!

Imagine that lot on board ship!!!!!

(they`d certainly frighten the seagulls!!!! :lol:)
BigJohn
Big L Pirate King of Pirate Kings

Postby Coastie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:48 am

I came across the Droitwitch aerials on my way back from Plymouth a couple of years ago. I was listening to 1395 and had a really good signal then suddenly I started to hear the 6 o'clock news on BBC Radio 4 coming over Big L. I knew then that something was wrong. I found out what it was shortly after! :shock: :lol:
I'm a Juvenile product of the Working Class who's best friend floats in the bottom of a glass!

Skype - Chriscoastie1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyCN5i1hU20
Coastie

Postby paulvos » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:51 am

alec wrote:Okay Paul - maybe you know or some other technician on here. Do you really need diesel to run a transmitter on a ship - wouldn't solar-celles do it at least for - lets say 10KWs ? This way you could moore the ship a bit outside from a harbour (500mts) - reachable with a little boat - no diesel-costs , no pollution and easy to access ? - and above all no Tx-site problems. - Well it would need huge batteries to save for night-time though. - I don't think a wind-wheel would work - it would destabilize the ship rotating in strong winds...

I have always believed the words "never say never", but I do belive it is not likely to work. If you want to transmit with 10kW (and we all know that's not much on AM) you need more power. The transmitter will have an efficency of approx. 50% so you need 20kW, plus the extra power used on board for lightening, washing machine etc.

Can you immagine the sq.meters of solar cells needed to generate this power, plus the extra power needed to store in batteries for the night period? Can you immagine the size of the batteries and the weight needed to store that kind of power? Can you immagine the investment level of such an installation?

It is much more likely that the BigL TX site could use solar power, as there is enough space there, but the problem would still be the huge investment. I think it would be cheaper to run a cable to the TX site.
Regards Paul Vos
----------------------------------------
DJ
"Shore Leave" Saturday evening 19:00 UK time
"Music To Munch By" Monday afternoon 16:00 UK time
"The Dutchy Live Show" Tuesday evening 19:00 UK time

Chinese proverb: "Standing on head makes smile of frown, but rest of face also upside down"
paulvos
Site Admin

Invitations sent: 1
Referrals: 1

Postby paulvos » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:26 am

alec wrote:maybe solar-cells in addition would be an option.
No idea how many Watts or KWs a square-meter of Photo-Voltaic-pannels can deliver.
When you can install them on roofs why not also on a ship or at a Tx site?
As said - I have no idea about Cost performance ratio.
So it is a pure 'rhetoric' question.

Oh absolutely Alec. I enjoy these discussions. That's why we have this board, right? I remember the discussions we had when we first heard of the return in 2009 of the AM TX. We were discussing how to get the audio to the transmitter. I believe the way they actually do it is close to the outcome of the discussion.

Who knows, we might have helped BigL solving that problem. Wouldn't that be great? :wink:
Regards Paul Vos
DJ

Chinese proverb: "Standing on head makes smile of frown, but rest of face also upside down"
paulvos
Site Admin

Postby alec » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:31 am

paulvos wrote:
No idea how many Watts or KWs a square-meter of Photo-Voltaic-pannels can deliver.

Oh absolutely Alec. I enjoy these discussions. That's why we have this board, right? I remember the discussions we had when we first heard of the return in 2009 of the AM TX. We were discussing how to get the audio to the transmitter. I believe the way they actually do it is close to the outcome of the discussion.

Who knows, we might have helped BigL solving that problem. Wouldn't that be great? :wink:

Well, Paul as you said above its a question of the cost performance ratio and how much a pannel of 1 sqm Voltaic delivers
What about a wind-wheel ? - problem raises though what to do when there's no wind ? :lol:
Image - Lets enjoy our music on good old radio http://offshoreradiosounds.tk/
alec

Invitations sent: 2
Referrals: 2

Postby Coastie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:39 am

alec wrote:
paulvos wrote:

Well, Paul as you said above its a question of the cost performance ratio and how much a pannel of 1 sqm Voltaic delivers
What about a wind-wheel ? - problem raises though what to do when there's no wind ? :lol:

Buy some hamsters???
I'm a Juvenile product of the Working Class who's best friend floats in the bottom of a glass!

Skype - Chriscoastie1.

Coastie

Postby paulvos » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:23 am

Oh Coastie, please don't do that. Reading your remark I tried to picture the size of the hamsters needed.... :shock:
Regards Paul Vos
DJ

paulvos
Site Admin

Postby Coastie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:04 pm

Perhaps use some of those "super rats" which are starting to invade this Country!! :lol:

Skype - Chriscoastie1.

Coastie

Postby alec » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:47 pm

to get away from Hamsters and Rats - what I always thought was why not use old oil from frying-machines - there are millions of fritjes boeden in Holland and also Mc Donalds and BurgerKing would be happy when they can get rid of that stuff - When you filter this oil you can run old Mercedes and tractors without any problem - why not also generators ? - and it also would make sense from an ecological point view... I guess with the daily output of Lelystad alone you could secure the fuel consumption rate per day at Trintelhaven
Image - Lets enjoy our music on good old radio http://offshoreradiosounds.tk/
alec

Invitations sent: 2
Referrals: 2

Postby Coastie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:26 pm

It'd make the presenters and crew feel hungry all the time though as it smells of chips.

Skype - Chriscoastie1.

Coastie

Postby berts » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:16 pm

Why not start using SSB and save 75 % of power ? :D
For more information on how to get our brand new Big L QSL card go to http://www.1395.eu/index.php?dir=qsl/bypost or email us at qsl@biglradio.co.uk for more information.
berts
Big L Mast with the Most Pirate King

Previous

Return to Offshore Stuff