LV18 permanent mooring approved/offshore history exhibition

Post all related Offshore Radio Discusions here
but remember there is a forum for the almighty MV Galaxy below and the Big L RSL's.

LV18 permanent mooring approved/offshore history exhibition

Postby MikeB » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:26 pm

Tendring District Council has approved plans for the LV18 to be permanently moored at Harwich Quay as a tourist attraction. They hope to be there by early summer.

http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/4877 ... op_anchor/

The planning application included proposals for the ship to have exhibits on maritime history and the history of offshore radio. This will I believe include the exhibits currently at the offshore radio exhibition in the reception area of the National Wireless and Television Museum at the High Lighthouse including the Radio Atlanta studio microphone and the receiver used by Ronan O'Rahilly at Caroline House in the 60's to monitor the stations output.

Photos of these exhibits, and of some in the other rooms at:
http://www.harwich.net/natwire.htm
MikeB
Big L Piratza Nearly King

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0

Postby Chirpy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:31 pm

Brilliant! It's not too far up the road from here. Thanks for this Mike - and all the other info you regularly update us with. :D
Chirpy

Postby Les » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:58 pm

This is good news as it could become a focal point for offshore radio fans, keeping the memories alive.
Perhaps an annual event could be held after the sucess of last years PBBCE broadcast.
Perhaps BigL could get involved somehow.
I think, therefore I am............ I think.
Les
Big L Mast with the Most Pirate King

Postby RadioNorthsea » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:47 pm

Les wrote:This is good news as it could become a focal point for offshore radio fans, keeping the memories alive.
Perhaps an annual event could be held after the sucess of last years PBBCE broadcast.

I thought the Ross Revenge was the focal point for keeping offshore memories alive after all its a proper North Sea radio ship having served its time in International Waters and is still used for broadcasting Carolines output at times nowadays. Lovely as it is & I know it was used for PDDE but the LV18 isn't quite the same thing. Well not to me anyway.
RadioNorthsea

Postby Chirpy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:55 pm

Les wrote:Perhaps an annual event could be held after the sucess of last years PBBCE broadcast.

Not sure that would go down very well Les. A couple of years ago a group of us from Big L went down there after the 2007 broadcast and when one of the stewards noticed I was wearing a Big L T-shirt, he kept putting his hand in front of my video camera as I tried to film some of the jocks walking along the pier. They wouldn't even let Wombat onto the LV18 for the closing celebrations. There was a lot of animosity toward Big L and any of the fans at the time. I'm sure Anderida, 98.6 and #6 would back me up here, we were treated light dirt. We got our own back though, when all the jocks were taken into a room to be interviewed we all huddled around the P.A. system on the pier. It was churning out BBC Essex (the ordinary one, not Pirate BBC Essex), so I changed the frequency to Big L. I've never seen Brucie and the others run so fast! :lol:
Chirpy

Postby Les » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:06 pm

I understand what you are saying David but how visible and accessible is the Ross to the general public?
It seems to be there just to remind Caroline fans of when it was a real rebellious radio station.
Les

Postby RADIO » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:00 pm

First of all i agree with David the Ross Revenge is real offshore radio history, but you or me can not visit the ship which is a shame they are losing money i have been on the Ross many times and been on air, and put a video on youtube and the Clacton Rsl 1995, sorry going on to long, as for the LV18 it is not radio history as a pirate but i hope it does well, the Ross should be Harwich :?:

All The Best Dave.

Long Live Bigl :D
RADIO
Big L Gold

Postby Big Al » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:19 pm

Well its a start it has only been recently that the authorities have acknowledged the 60s pirates...I read somewhere there was going to be a permanent marker by means of a ship anchored in the North Sea to commemorate the Pirate radio ships.
I remember the first year BBC Radio Essex broadcast from Harwich they did not even have a radio on the Pier so unless you knew anything was going you could not hear the transmission from the LV18 lightship :(
It's a way of life.
Big Al
Big L Pirate King of Pirate Kings

Postby Coastie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:23 pm

A ship anchored in the North Sea? What kind of ship and wouldn't it be a navigation hazzard?
I'm a Juvenile product of the Working Class who's best friend floats in the bottom of a glass!

Skype - Chriscoastie1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyCN5i1hU20
Coastie

Postby Big Al » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:34 pm

Perhaps it should be the LV18 at least it has a light on it :lol: :lol:
It's a way of life.
Big Al

Postby RadioNorthsea » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:35 pm

I believe Peter Moore would like to have the Ross Revenge accessible to the public and an application was made of course last year but for one reason or another was turned down. Yes I would like to see the Ross Revenge at Harwich and open to the public as a source of funds for Caroline. I can't think of a better place to anchor her other then out in the North Sea of course.

As already stated the LV18 does not have offshore history as a radio ship without which the appeal is just not there.
RadioNorthsea

Postby Coastie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:39 pm

Big Al wrote:Perhaps it should be the LV18 at least it has a light on it :lol: :lol:

She could go back to her original job! :lol:
I'm a Juvenile product of the Working Class who's best friend floats in the bottom of a glass!

Skype - Chriscoastie1.

Coastie

Postby Les » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:49 pm

Quote: "Not sure that would go down very well Les. A couple of years ago a group of us from Big L went down there after the 2007 broadcast and when one of the stewards noticed I was wearing a Big L T-shirt, he kept putting his hand in front of my video camera as I tried to film some of the jocks walking along the pier. They wouldn't even let Wombat onto the LV18 for the closing celebrations. There was a lot of animosity toward Big L and any of the fans at the time. I'm sure Anderida, 98.6 and #6 would back me up here, we were treated light dirt."

I'm sorry to learn about your experiances there Chirpy. I think at that time there was much friction between the Paynes Radio London and Frinton Big L. Could have had something to do with a certain Ray Anderson. It appears that now the cold war may be thawing with the relay of the Fab 40. But also I think some anoraks are guilty of always looking back and never forward.
Les

Postby MikeB » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:50 pm

Via RadioLondon.co.uk

Despite being approved by planning councillors the plans for the LV18 to have a permanent mooring were reviewed behind closed doors and rejected at a meeting last week.

The council has agreed to go ahead with work at the quay for a ship to be berthed there but all details of the LV18 have been removed from the application. Local politics are involved.

Report and comments at the Harwich Standard:
http://www.harwichandmanningtreestandar ... _in_doubt/
MikeB
Big L Piratza Nearly King

Postby Coastie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Typical local councils! If your face don't fit, etc!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Skype - Chriscoastie1.

Coastie

Next

Return to Offshore Stuff